Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Slither in the Back Door

 

[caption id="attachment_461" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Union Station Toronto, most scenic part of the trip"][/caption]

That's what it felt like on the train today.  I'm not kidding.  I felt like l was slithering into the few towns we stopped in on my way to London, Ontario.  As we left Union Station in the downtown core of Toronto we got to see the back yards of some of the homes of Toronto.  And the sight left something to be desired.  I'm amazed at the junk some people literally throw out in their yards.

Of course, prices tend to be less for your home if you are living beside railroad tracks....so....enough said.

Every-town we seemed to slink into the back door to the station.  My $60 train ticket saved me a whole whack of cash.  Why?  Well, l had this silly romantic desire to travel Canada coast to coast by train, and then also Alaska down to Victoria, BC.  What l discovered is, as romantic as that sounded, l think it would make me loopy.  The ride was nice, but what fun would there be if l couldn't get out and explore the towns l was whipping by?  Do l really want to see the crappy homes that line the tracks in some of the most beautiful cities in the country? Or do l want to poke around in the areas that catch my eye, and even lay down my hat for a night or two?  I think you can guess.

 

1 comment:

  1. The station does look cool and after reading your account of the trip I think I'll forgo my dreams of cross-country rail travel too. Though here we have a couple old-time trains that run through the countryside from one picturesque town to the next, serving ice cream and playing some fun music too. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon :)

    ReplyDelete