Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Not an Airport in Sight

I'm still in my PJ's, finally enjoying a day where l'm not rushing here or there, and it's only a Wednesday!  Whoot! Whoot!  There's not a plane to catch, or a rental car to drive.

I've done all the visiting for Christmas.  Yesterday l visited with my Grandpa, brought him Swiss Chalet for dinner (Broiled Chicken dinner), and chatted about life and his life.  He was telling me some stories about his time in World War II.  I was surprised at his recollection, he remembered the names of the small towns he fought through.  He was enlisted for three years, began in Italy and ended up in Holland when the end of the war was declared.  He lost some buddies in that war, and that brought tears to his eyes.

My Grandpa never talked about his time in the war before,  it was enlightening, and sad that even after the great war, we still have conflict in the world.  War is an ugly business, and should be avoided.

My Grandma passed on a couple of years ago, so my Grandpa is living alone.  They were married for 69 years. He misses her.  We all do.

We chatted for a couple of hours and then he played the organ.  He played some old time songs, all from memory, it was great.  He's sharp as a whip at 92, l hope l have the same genes.

I didn't want to say goodbye so soon, but l had a meeting to sell my car, so l had to leave.  It saddens me to think of all the recent changes in our family dynamics, they started 9 years ago with the passing of my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment