I arrived at my friends house around 11:30 am, he wasn't home from work yet so proceeded to start cleaning all my connections to my house battery.
I popped the hood of the van and attacked this little contraption. Is it the isolator? Is that the right terminology? I know it is the link between the van battery and the house battery and it was pretty cruddy so l cleaned and polished up the connectors. I only got one little shock when l leaned against the van, it was more of a tickle, but it got me to stop leaning against the van when l was unscrewing the bolts.
The next step for me was to take the back box off the van so l could gain access to the house battery that is under my teeny tiny closet. I cleaned those connectors also.
Next on the list was to take off the little cardboard door l had made (it's temporary until l get a piece of wood cut next week for it) to stop the cats from exploring another hole in the vans walls. Behind this wall is this fuse (below)
Not so close
The fuse was blown. That was the problem with the battery not charging. Once l replaced it (yes, l have spare fuses in the van's tool box) the battery showed hope.
The friend showed up from work after l had solved the mystery and as l was loading the box back on the van.
I plugged in at my friends for a couple of hours, while l helped him do some finishing touches on his home before he moves into it on Saturday (yep, l'm helping him with that).
I'm happy to report that all my house lights worked fine when l went to battery power before l left.